BE PRESENT EMPOWERMENT MODEL
Our leadership development method is the Be Present Empowerment Model® (BPEM®), a platform for leadership learning, dialogue and practice. The BPEM supports people to explore how history and social contexts of race, gender, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, religion, culture, physical ability, and socio-economic backgrounds are encoded within themselves and then are externalized through behaviors. It supports the analysis of how these behaviors are manifested in relationships, communities and institutions – all of which comprise the systems in which we live.
The three interrelated leadership realms of the BPEM® are:
- Know Yourself Outside the Distress of Oppression
- Listen to Others in a Conscious and Present State
- Build Effective Relationships and Sustain True Alliances
These leadership realms build resilient leadership on three levels:
- On the individual level, people develop competencies for inner resilience – including strengthening self-knowledge (self-determination and self-direction); bringing their voices to the table; asking questions, connecting and advocating; thinking creatively and reflectively; and taking positive action.
- On the intergroup level, people build skills for effective collaboration – including dismantling stereotypes; engaging in difficult dialogues; transforming conflict; building trust; and creating lasting partnerships.
- On the community level, people strengthen the capacity for outer resilience and larger-scale change – including building civic capacities and community infrastructures; increasing access to opportunities; building political will to attract and sustain community investments; and moving society in more sustainable directions.
For more information on the Be Present Empowerment Model, click here.
For more information on opportunities for practice, view our Upcoming Training Opportunities
WATCH A 2 – PART VIDEO ON THE BE PRESENT EMPOWERMENT MODEL